Learning disability and brain injury

We can help guide you to support and services for people with learning disabilities and their families.

This includes support to help adults with a learning disability to be included in their local community and to make choices about the opportunities they wish to experience.

It may be support to find a work placement, paid employment, a volunteering opportunity, to access leisure activities or to learn new things at college or through adult learning courses.

Organisations that can help

Northamptonshire Learning Disability Team

The Learning Disability Team at Northamptonshire Healthcare works with adults and children with learning disabilities who have complex health care needs. Their goals are to ensure that their healthcare needs are met by providing specialist assessment and intervention for those that have complex physical or mental health needs or who display behaviours that challenge.

Learning Disability Partnership Board

The Northamptonshire Learning Disability Partnership Board brings together people and organisations who want to make things better for people with learning disabilities.

Northamptonshire Brain Injury Service

The Northamptonshire Community Brain Injury Service is for people aged 16 and over who have experienced a brain injury. They provide specialist assessment, rehabilitation and support with adjusting to living with brain injury, as well as offering support to families and carers.​

Shared Lives

The Shared Lives scheme run by Olympus Care Services matches adults who have a range of different needs with caring and supportive families or individuals who welcome them into their homes and provide full-time support.

The Keep Safe Scheme is designed to make the holder more aware of their personal safety, to encourage reporting of crime and to help them seek help if they need it. It will also help those providing assistance to access support for the user of the card and understand how to make them feel safer.

The Mental Capacity Act

The Mental Capacity Act came into force on the 1st October 2007. It enables a representative of either your choice or someone appointed by the Court of Protection or Department for Work and Pensions to assist you with your finances and other important decisions regarding your welfare.

Request an assessment or review from adult social services

We can give you information, advice and guidance to help you remain independent. Where you may require additional help we can assess you to see if you have eligible needs or to review your current care package.

How to request an assessment or review