Viewing original documents
Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are unable to access the Bunker, where some of our documents are stored, until early 2018 (we do not have an exact date at present). This may mean that we are unable to retrieve some of the documents that you wish to see.
It is, therefore, very important that you pre-order documents at least three working days before you visit, and have it confirmed by us that you can see the documents, before you travel.
|Tuesday to Thursday|
9am to 1pm, and 2pm to 5pm
Please be aware that the public rooms will be closed between 1pm to 2pm each day, and there will be no access to the Searchroom or Index Room during that hour. The customer tea area and toilets will remain open.
|1st Saturday of the month|
9am to 1pm
Document production times
We retrieve documents ten times a day Tuesday to Thursday, at the following times: 9:30am, 10am, 10:30am, 11am, 11:30am, 12:15, 2:15pm, 2:45, 3:15pm and 3:45pm. We aim to produce the documents within 30 minutes of each of these times. Our normal limit is two documents per person, per collection.
When we are open on the first Saturday of the month between 9am and 1pm, we retrieve documents six times at: 9:30am, 10am, 10:30am, 11am, 11:30am and 12:00. We aim to produce the documents within 30 minutes of each of these times. Our normal limit is two documents per person, per collection.
You can, in addition to requesting documents at these times, pre-order up to eight documents, giving us at least three working days notice.
We have free parking on site, including disabled spaces. However, we cannot guarantee spaces will be available throughout busy periods.
You can buy hot drinks and snacks from our machine. You will need change for this.
The nearest places to get lunch are supermarkets about half a mile away.
How to find us
Wootton Hall Park
What do I do when I arrive?
We recommend you bring a notebook and pencil, and keep records of the document references of things that you discover on your visit.
If you get stuck and need expert help,
book an appointment with our research assistant, who can save you many hours of frustration.
There are a few simple rules before you begin your research:
- Leave all bags and coats in the lockers provided before you enter the search room.
- Make sure your laptop is charged before you come – you can plug it in here, but you'll need to hire a circuit breaker.
- Switch your mobile phone to silent while in the search room.
- Buy a photography licence before starting to take pictures of documents.
- To view documents at the Northamptonshire Record Office you will need a CARN card*.
* A CARN card is like a library card for archives. To obtain one of these when you visit us, please ensure that you bring some form of ID (this must contain your address and signature). A UK driving licence is ideal, as it will contain both your permanent address and signature. Alternatively, a combination of documents showing your address and signature will be needed. Examples of documents that could contain the details required include:
|Bank statements||Address only|
|Debit and credit cards||Signature only|
|EU passports||Signature and photograph only|
|Non EU passports||Only if the address and/or signature is included|
|Pension book||Address only|
|Official letters for example, from Social Services or the NHS||Address only|
|UK driving licence (paper or photo card)||Address, signature and photograph|
|Utility bills||Address only|
You can contact us with general enquiries by filling in our enquiry form or by telephone:
Make an enquiry
The best way to contact us is via our online form. However, we also have a telephone number:
Calls are answered during the Record Office's opening times, which are Tuesday to Thursday 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm.
Please be aware that sometimes, when the office is busy, we are not able to answer the telephone.