You will need to re-register your child's birth if you want to make any of the following changes to their birth certificate:
- add the father's name to the birth certificate
- you have been married
Please complete the following steps:
- Download the appropriate application form from the
- Once you have completed the form, please choose at which of our registration offices you would like to complete the re-registration.
- Please post the forms and any appropriate original documents to that office.
We cannot accept photocopies but you will get all relevant documents back after the re-registration is complete.
You do not need to visit our office in person at this stage because you will not be able to complete the re-registration straight away.
- We will check your paperwork and then contact you within a few days to make an appointment for you to visit the office at a later date to complete the re-registration.
Who needs to attend the appointment?
If you are now married, only one parent will need to attend the appointment.
If you are adding the natural father to a birth certificate and you are not married, both parents will need to attend the appointment.
I want to add another forename to my child's birth certificate
You can add another forename given to the child within its first year, at any time. The fee to do this is £40 plus £4 per copy of the new birth certificate. Please
contact us for more information.