We can help if you are applying for British citizenship.
You can use our optional nationality checking service before you apply for citizenship once you have:
- met the criteria set by UK Visas and Immigration for British Nationality
- passed the Life in the UK Test and
- have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher or an equivalent level or
- have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and
- (i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English or
- (ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country other than Canada or
- are a national of a majority English speaking country
- completed the application form
For further advice and guidance on how to become a UK citizen, please visit
GOV.UK - becoming a British citizen.
Benefits of the service
- We check your application is correct, this means it is accepted first time.
- We copy your document, certify them and send them with your application, this means you can keep your originals
- We send everything by secure post direct to UK Visas and Immigration
Joint citizenship and passport application service
You can apply for your UK passport at the same time as your citizenship application.
If your citizenship application is successful and you attend a ceremony, your new passport will be dispatched to your home. (Please do not contact Her Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) or UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) about your passport until 20 working days after the date of your citizenship ceremony.)
Please remember that you should not make plans to travel on a British passport until you have received it.
If you choose to use the joint citizenship and passport application service, please follow the steps below when filling out your passport application:
- Complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You don't need to complete section 10 or have your 2 photographs certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- The photographs you submit with both applications must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards in the application guidance. The applicant's name must be written on the back of the photographs. You don't need to get these photos certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- Section 1 - if you are within 6 months of your 16th birthday at the time of application, you must attend the appointment in person
- Section 2 - do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Please enter it in Section 8 instead
- Section 4 - grandparents’ details are not required
- You must complete the payment mandate on Page 25 of the application guidance. Please ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the appropriate box.
If you are unsure about any requirements, leave the section of the form blank and complete it at your appointment.
The service costs an additional £10 (including VAT). This additional fee is for a passport application submitted at the same time as your citizenship application. We do not offer the passport only check and send service, which is provided by the Post Office.
How to book an appointment
contact Northamptonshire Registration Service between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday to make an appointment.
When booking your appointment you will need to pay a non-refundable deposit by credit or debit card (see fees page for deposit and full fee amounts).
Life in the UK Test
If you are a member of our Library Service, you can access the Go Citizen resource to help you prepare for the Life in the UK Test:
European Passport Return Service
For more information about this new service, including where it is available and who can use it, please visit European Passport Return Service