Type of service:
Advice And Information
Malvern View, Saxon Business Park, Hanbury Road, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire B60 4AD
Independent Supporters work in partnership as an additional resource, independent of the Local Authority and other professionals, to help families navigate the Education, Health and Care (EHC) assessment and planning process during:
• Education Health and Care needs assessments
• Transfer of Statements of Special Educational Needs to an EHC Plan
• Preparation and support at annual review
An Independent Supporter is a time-limited resource available during the EHC assessment process and their support ends when an EHC Plan is finalised or if it is decided that an EHC Plan is not necessary. They can provide impartial advice and information about the EHC process.
Independent Supporters are there to offer support that is tailored to the needs of individual parents and young people. This support may be offered through face to face contact and/or via telephone or email, and attendance at meetings. Although they may give advice and support, Independent Supporters cannot make decisions for you or attend meetings in your absence.
Independent Supporter can help parents and/or young people
• To understand the Local Offer and local referral processes
• To understand the EHC needs assessment process and timescales
• Act as a named contact throughout the EHC assessment and planning process
• Help to express their views in relation to the EHC process
• Liaise across a range of services to help gather and interpret information required for an EHC plan
• To understand personal budgets
The Independent Support Worker will refer back to the Information Advice Support Service when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter.
Core Assets Children’s Services has been commissioned by the Council for Disabled Children to deliver Independent Support to young people and their families until May 2018.
Contact provider for details
- Age - Early Years (0-5)
- Age - School (5-18)
- Age - Adulthood (18-25)
- SEND descriptors
- Contact service direct
- No referral needed
Last updated on: