Type of service:
Finance And Funding
One Angel Square, Angel Street, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN1 1ED
Is my two year old child eligible for free childcare and education?
To be eligible a parent/carer must have an income below £16,190 and be claiming the one of the following state benefits:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers’ Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed Element of the State Pension Credit; or
- Child Tax Credit, provided you have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs
- Working Families Tax Credit, with an income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.
If eligible, the Online Eligibility Checker (accessed via the website) will give you a reference number which remains active for six weeks. If the reference number expires, you will need to use the OEC again to obtain another valid reference number.
Other eligibility criteria
In addition to the financial criteria, children are also eligible if they:
are a Looked After Child with the Local Authority
have a current statement of Special Educational Needs (SEND) or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC plan)
are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance.
are subject to a Special Guardianship Order, child arrangement or Adoption order.
have an Early Help Assessment (EHA) or Common Assessment for Families (CAF)
are working with the Family Nurse Partnership (FNP)
are receiving targeted support identified through a Complex Case Discussion.
If you think your child is eligible under one of the above criteria, you will need to speak with the professional working with your family and ask them to make a referral.
2 years - 2 years, 11 months
- Please Use The Online Eligibility Checker (OEC)
- Professional Referral
- Self Referral
Last updated on: