Contact a Family (CAF) provides information, advice and support to families caring for children and young people with disabilities or additional needs.
CAF have up to date information on local services and sources of support for families with disabled children.
CAF support families with disabled children, no matter what their condition or disability.
CAF services are free and open to any parent/carer or family member. CAF also support practitioners working with families.
The East Midlands team offers:
• Free information workshops for groups of parent carers including coping and support, behaviour that challenges us, helping your child to sleep, transition from adult to child services and information about benefits.
• Local information on local services, sources of further and specialist advice and support
• Information guides on everyday living such as financial help and benefits, accessing help and support, play and leisure activities for families and education, health and social care services.
• Ways to meet other local parents through support groups, meetings, workshops and events.
• Free information sessions for professionals working with families with disabled children
• Resources for professionals, to help them point families to local services
• Advice, information and how to access local support is provided by the helplineContact a Family helpline
For information or advice on any aspect of caring for a disabled child contact the national freephone helpline
Telephone: 0808 808 3555
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5pm,
CAF's trained advisers include education specialists and a dedicated welfare rights team. Contact a Family website
Their website offers up-to-date information on hundreds of medical conditions, extensive information on benefits and services as well as a wider range of support, information and advice for families. You can link with families going through similar experiences and download the resources.
Parents can follow them on Facebook CAF Facebook
or Twitter: CAF Twitter
as sources of information and links to other parents.