Type of service:
Groups, Clubs And Activities
One Angel Square, Angel Street, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN1 1ED
There are 3 main services offered which mean you can still enjoy the Library Service even if you are unable to visit your local library: the mobile library, the Home Library Service and the Sound Reads Service.
There is a mobile library van which covers the east and west of the county.
Home Library Service
This is a free service for people who are unable to get to the library, either through age or disability.
• A member of library staff will call you to explain how the service works and to discuss your reading preferences
• They will then select items for you according to your tastes and requirements
• Volunteers deliver books to your home every month and will talk to you to ensure that we are selecting the right stock for you
Contact your local library for information.
Sound Reads Service
The Sound Reads Service helps people with a visual impairment who enjoy reading.
• A home visit from volunteers who will explain the various reading services available to you.
• Subscriptions to the audio book service provided by the Royal National Institute of the Blind. This service is no longer paid for by Northamptonshire Libraries but is free from the RNIB.
• Help filling in the application form for the Calibre Audio Library. Calibre Audio Library provides audio books on MP3 disc to your home by post.
• Financial support (up to £42.00 per person) for a subscription to the RNIB Newsagent national talking newspaper and magazine service. There is no waiting list for this service.
• Information about the local free talking newspaper service produced by the Northamptonshire Association for the Blind.
• Sounds Good Reading Groups - Reading groups for visually impaired people meet at the Hunsbury and Wellingborough libraries.
Last updated on: