Type of service:
Local Government Department
Northamptonshire Highways, SEND School Transport,
Generally; transport will be approved for a pupil with SEND if:
- they live further than 2 miles (under 8 years) or 3 miles (over 8 to 16 years) from their nearest suitable or linked school.
- the nearest suitable or linked school is within the acceptable walking distance but the route is deemed unacceptable to walk according to the council's published criteria.
- the LA has named the school and it's the above distance away from home.
- the child has a severe medical or physical condition and has written advice supporting a transport need which has been approved.
Transport will not be approved when:
- the child is not attending their suitable or linked school and it's of parental choice.
- the child lives within the acceptable walking distance of the school taking an acceptable walking route.
Please note, the child may be eligible for free school transport if they receive free school meals or those whose parents are in receipt of their maximum level of Working Tax Credits. Please read the Home to School transport policy for further information. This can be accessed by following the website link above.
Other circumstances which may be deemed exceptional can also be viewed in the Home to School Transport Policy.
To apply for school transport please complete an application form; this can be accessed from the above link.
Last updated on: