Type of service:
Local Government Department
Northamptonshire County Council, One Angel Square, Angel Street, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN1 1ED
The Disabled Children’s Service supports disabled children, young people and their families to make sure that they have the same opportunities and experiences as other children and young people.
The Disabled Children’s Service works alongside and is a part of the Children and Young People’s Services in offering other types of support and in meeting statutory duties, including child protection.
Types of support available
If your family’s circumstances are such that universal and targeted services alone cannot meet your needs and you are unable to find support through the Local Offer website, the Disabled Children’s Service will aim to offer additional support - see the webpages
Referrals and acceptance to the Disabled Children’s Services will subject to a statutory or non-statutory assessment. Referrals can be made by professionals, parents/family members, carers, and the child/young people to the service by contacting the MASH team. The MASH team can be contacted on 0300 126 1000.
What does the Disabled Children’s Service provide?
- We complete assessments with you to identify your family’s needs. These can include assessments for short breaks, help in the home and social work support
- We can give you information about disability services
- We welcome and want families to become involved in the planning, design, delivery and evaluation of our services and we work with parent/carers and young people to make sure we understand your views
- We work to improve the services for disabled young people who are preparing for adulthood
- We support providers to ensure they include all children in their services and activities by providing advice, equipment loan or support workers to support access
- We have a legal duty to hold a Disabled Children’s Register: this helps us to identify gaps and develop future support
- Statutory protective services to disabled children and young people
Sometimes, a child or young person’s needs will not qualify them for services from the Disabled Children’s Service and they will be sign posted to appropriate services when and where possible.
- Complex Health Condition
- Life Limiting Illnesses
- Referral By Family Member
- Referral By Professional
- Self Referral
- Via Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH)
Last updated on: