Services for children and young people in Northamptonshire (aged 0-25) with special educational needs and disabilities.

Hospital and Outreach Education - NCC

Type of service:
Schools And Education Providers
Delapre Community Rooms, Main Road, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN4 8EN
Telephone number:
01604 662250
Additional web link:
Service description:
Hospital and Outreach Education (HOE) is a Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) providing educational support for children and young people with complex medical and/or mental health needs which prevent them from attending school full time. It covers the whole of Northamptonshire and is organised structurally into two 'mini teams' which cover the North and South of the county respectively.

There are two teaching provisions at Kettering and Northampton General Hospitals and at two in-patient tier 4 Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHs) Units in Northampton. There are also two outreach teaching bases in Kettering and one in Northampton.


- Can parents refer to Hospital and Outreach Education? No, referrals are taken from schools and must be supported by medical evidence from a health practitioner

- Is medical evidence required for a referral to Hospital and Outreach Education? Yes

- How long can a pupil remain with Hospital and Outreach Education? HOE education support is not long term. The time spent at HOE depends on the impact of the medical condition and advice from the medical practitioner – there are no hard and fast rules.

- Does HOE always aim to reintegrate pupils back to their home school? All our pupils must have an intention to return to school or to transition to another placement and this is discussed at the set up meeting. As above, HOE is not a long term alternative to mainstream education.

- Do you take pupils with special educational needs? The admission criteria are the same, regardless of the needs of the pupil – complex medical or mental health needs

- Do you offer home teaching? Only if a child/young person has medical evidence to say they cannot leave the house. It is much better for children/young people to be taught in small groups at our outreach centres or back in school.

- Does a pupil transfer from their school roll to HOE roll once a referral has been accepted? No, the pupil then becomes dual registered so both HOE and the school work together to provide the appropriate educational support.

Hospitals and in-patient stays

Teaching will automatically be provided to children and young people resident in the general hospitals or C.A.M.H.S units, depending on their state of health and severity of condition. No charge is made to schools for this service.

Outreach teaching

If you have a child or young person who is not attending school due to a complex medical or mental health condition, schools may want to consider a referral to HOE: please note only schools can make a request for involvement of the HOE team. Requests need to be accompanied by medical evidence from a suitably qualified medical professional.

All requests are reviewed weekly at our admission panel meetings. Even though some children and young people may have mental health or medical difficulties, if the panel believes that these needs can be more appropriately met by the school or should not prevent them from attending school, the request will be declined. We need to ensure that children and young people who are not in school are provided with the most appropriate alternative provision to meet their needs.

Advice and guidance

We would advise you to ring and discuss any referrals you were considering with us first. It may be that we can provide you with appropriate advice and guidance to support the child or young person to remain in school.
Age range:
4 years - 18 years
Additional information:
SENCO: Chris Woods
Eligibility criteria:
  • Age - Early Years (0-5)
  • Age - School (5-18)
  • Diagnosis
  • Health
  • SEND descriptors
Referral route:
  • G.P or health referral
  • School referral
Last updated on:
Location map:

​Is this information incorrect?

If you are the provider of this service and your details are incorrect, please let us know by completing our online form.

If you need to register your service please fill out our online registration form.

Have your say on children and young people's mental health in the government's new consultation. Deadline is 12noon on 2 March 2018. https://engage.d...

View on Facebook

SIS: Touchpoint Northampton

Don't miss coffee and chat with Northamptonshire County Council's Sensory Impairment Service in Northampton next week - for parents of children and yo...

View on Facebook

Corby Borough Council: NRG Club

NRG Disability (Sport 4 All) runs every Thursday, and is open to anyone aged 8+. It gives people with a disability the chance to experience a range of...

View on Facebook

Multi Activity Club (MAC)

The MAC (Multi-Activity Club) provides sports and activities for adults (and young people in non-mainstream education) on Thursdays. Sessions cost £3 ...

View on Facebook

If you think you’d benefit from attending any of these groups, please complete the ‘Access to Support’ referral form here: https://northamptonshire-se...

View on Facebook
20/10/2017 13:15
Local Offer annual audit and updates to the database
29/06/2017 07:38
A short report of the latest Summer Sendsation
20/03/2017 13:21
some of the events we have been to and are planning for 2017, including 2020 and Summer Sendsation
21/12/2016 11:37
An opportunity to look back at the last year on the Local Offer