Effective leadership and management is based upon early years providers being able to:
- Demonstrate an ambitious vision, have high expectations for what all children can achieve and ensure high standards of provision and care for children.
- Improve staff practice, teaching and learning through effective systems for supervision, rigorous performance management and appropriate professional development.
- Evaluate the quality of the provision and outcomes through robust self-evaluation, taking account of the views of parents and children, and use the findings to develop capacity for sustainable improvement.
- Provide learning programmes and a curriculum that has suitable breadth, depth and relevance so that it meets any relevant statutory requirements, as well as the needs and interests of children.
- Successfully plan and manage the curriculum and learning programmes so that all children get a good start and are well prepared for the next stage in their learning, especially being ready for school.
- Actively promote equality and diversity, tackle poor behaviour towards others, including bullying and discrimination, and narrow any gaps in outcomes between different groups of children.
- Actively promote British values.
- Make sure that arrangements to protect children meet all statutory and other government requirements, promote their welfare and prevent radicalisation and extremism.
Find out more about leadership and management in Ofsted's early years inspection handbook.
EY Business and Professional Development meetings
These meetings aim to support all staff working in early years.
They cover a different agenda each time, and will ensure that delegates are kept informed and up to date on key information connected to the EYFS, including updates on information from organisations such as Ofsted, DfE and Health.
- PowerPoint coming shortly.
Sharing good practice
With so much good practice in Northamptonshire, why not celebrate by sharing with others. We can learn so much from each other. Please share your good practice by documenting it as a case study and emailing it to
EarlyYearsImprovement@Northamptonshire.gov.uk to share with other settings.