What is a childminder?
Childminders work from their own homes, caring for children of all ages. Most childminders offer a full menu of services including full day childcare for pre-school aged children, before and after school sessions and school holiday care.
Do I need to register with Ofsted?
register with Ofsted as a childminder if you intend to care for children:
that you are not related to
for more than 2 hours a day
for pay or gain
on domestic premises (normally your home)
that are under 8 years of age
Ofsted have two registers – the Early Years Register and the Childcare Register
- You must register on the Early Years Register to look after children from birth up to the 31 August after their fifth birthday
- You must register on the compulsory part of the Childcare Register to look after children aged 5 to 7
- You must register on both registers to look after children of all ages
- You can register on the voluntary part of the Childcare Register to look after children over 8 or to look after children in their own home
What will I be required to do to become a childminder?
Before you can register with Ofsted we recommend that you:
- Attend a Pathways to Registration as a Childminder session. This session provides information, support and guidance on topics such as business planning, Ofsted registration, funding opportunities and how to provide high quality childcare
You will also need to:
Complete training that enables you to understand and implement the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
Complete child protection training.
Complete a 12 hour paediatric first aid course.
Further and more detailed information will be provided at the Pathways to Registration as a childminder session.
What do I do next?
1. Register your interest in becoming a childminder using the online form below. Once you have filled in the online form you will receive an information pack.
Register your interest
2. Our early years team will then email you the next available dates of the Pathways to Registration as a Childminder session and how to apply for a place on the next available session.
Find out more