If you are in receipt of any of the following, your child may be eligible for free school meals.
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, with no element of Working Tax Credit, and a household income below £16,190 (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs)
- Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
If a child resides in a local authority care home they will
not qualify for free school meals. This is because government funding has already been allocated to fund their meals.
A child must reside with the applicant to receive free school meals.
How do I apply?
Check your eligibility and apply for free school meals using our online form:
Apply for free school meals
What happens next?
- Your claim will be sent to the free school meals team for authorisation.
- The school will be informed within 3 working days when authorisation has been confirmed. You will then need to find out from your school how to order and access the meals.
Please note, during September and October there is a longer wait for applications to be processed.
- The school will receive £2.30 towards the cost of your child's meal.
What if my circumstances change?
You need to let us know if there is a change in circumstances which may affect your child receiving free school meals. Please contact the free school meal team if:
- you stop receiving an eligible benefit
- you change your address