If you are in receipt of any of the following, your child may be eligible for free school meals.
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, with no element of Working Tax Credit, and a household income below £16,190 (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs)
- Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
If a child resides in a local authority care home they will not qualify for free school meals. This is because government funding has already been allocated to fund their meals.
How do I apply?
Check your eligibility and apply for free school meals using our online form:
Apply for free school meals
What happens next?
- Your claim will be sent to the free school meals team for authorisation
- The school will be informed within 3 working days when authorisation has been confirmed. You will then need to find out from your school how to order and access the meals
- The school will receive £2.30 towards the cost of your child's meal
What if my circumstances change?
You need to let us know if there is a change in circumstances which may affect your child receiving free school meals. Please contact the free school meal team if:
- you stop receiving an eligible benefit
- you change your address