Head teachers are advised to read the Executive Summary in the new Agreed Syllabus. In addition it would also be useful for Head teachers to read the following sections of the Agreed Syllabus and Support Materials:
- The Legal Requirements;
- The Importance Statement for RE;
- The Aims of RE;
- The Breadth of Religious Education: Which religions and beliefs are to be studied;
- Assessment, Recording and Reporting in RE;
- Curriculum Time for RE;
- Links to Every Child Matters and Community Cohesion;
- RE and Inclusion;
- Handling Faith Sensitivities (Support Materials);
- The relevant Programmes of Study for the school;
- Guidance on Visits and Visitors (Support Materials).
Head teachers and Senior Leadership Teams will need to support and facilitate Subject Leaders of RE in reviewing current RE practice and pedagogy and in revising units of work. They will also need to ensure that all relevant staff members and other stakeholders receive appropriate training in aspects of the new syllabus and Religious Education in general.