Newnham Primary School, School Hill, Newnham, Daventry, NN11 3HG
Children with a Statement of Special Educational Need or an EHC plan naming Newnham Primary School will always be offered places should the facilities of the school allow the needs of the child to be met. If there is then greater demand for admission than there are places available, the following criteria will be applied in the order set out below:
- Looked-after children and children who were previously looked after, but ceased to be so because, immediately after being looked after they were adopted or became subject to a residence/child arrangements order or special guardianship order
- Children with a normal home address (See definition of ‘home address’ below) in the village of Newnham and its surrounding villages (Everdon, Badby, and Fawsley)*; and with a sibling (see definition of ‘sibling’ below) on the roll of the school at the time of application or whose parent has accepted an offer of a place at the school and who is expected still to be in attendance at the time of entry to the school
- Children with a normal home address in Newnham, Everdon, Badby and Fawsley*
- Children with a normal home address outside the areas defined in criteria C and with a sibling on the roll of the school at the time of application or whose parent has accepted an offer of a place at the school and who is expected still to be in attendance at the time of entry to the school
- All other applications
*Please note; Transport can be provided from the village of Everdon by Newnham Primary School (See school for further information). NCC does not provide transport from the villages of Badby or Fawsley. The Northamptonshire County Council Home to School transport policy will apply.
If there is any over-subscription in any category the following tiebreaker will apply.
Proximity of the child’s home, as measured by the straight line distance between the home and the school’s address point by the NCC using their geographical information system with those living nearer being accorded the higher priority, will serve to differentiate between children in criteria (1) to (3) should the need arise. In the event that two distance measurements are identical, the school will use random allocation to decide which child should be offered the place.
The process will be conducted in the presence of a person independent of the school and you are welcome to view the process.
Definition of Parent
“Parent” is defined in law (The Education Act 1996) as either:
- any person who has ‘parental responsibility’ (defined in the Children Act 1989) for the child or young person
- any person who has care of the child or young person
If you are in any doubt, please contact the school for advice.
Definition of Home address
By normal home address, we mean the child’s home address where he or she sleeps for the majority of the school week. This must be where the parent or legal carer of the child lives with the child unless it is proved that the child is resident elsewhere with someone else who has legal care and control of the child. The address should be a residential property that is owned, leased
or rented by the child’s parent/s or person with legal care and control of the child.
To avoid doubt, where a child lives with parents with shared responsibility, each for part of a week or month, the address where the child lives will be determined having regard to a joint declaration from the parents stating the exact pattern of residence.
We may ask for evidence of the normal home address in the form of a recent bill. The school reserves the right to request further information from NCC and other agencies to ensure that places are not obtained at the school on the basis of false addresses, and, in cases of doubt, will take steps to verify the information provided.
If a place at the school is offered, and it later becomes clear that the offer was made on fraudulent or misleading information (e.g. a false claim to living in the catchment area), and the school has denied a place to a child with a stronger claim, the school will withdraw the offer of a place. The offer can also be withdrawn even after the child has started at the school.
If parents move house after the application has been made, but before any offer of a place has been made, the school must be informed.
If parents are moving, we will ask for evidence of the move, before considering any application for a place.
Definition of Sibling
By sibling we mean a brother or sister, half brother or sister, adopted brother or sister, step brother or sister, or the child of the parent’s/carer’s partner where the child for whom the school place is sought is living in the same family unit at the same address as that sibling. It is helpful if parents make it clear on the application form where the sibling has a different family name.
Where there is more than one sibling at the school, only the youngest should be listed on the application form.