St Edward's Catholic Primary School, Eastleigh Road, Kettering, NN15 6PT
Parents wishing to apply for a place in the school must apply online.
Applicants wishing to be considered under the school’s faith and sibling criteria must also complete the Supplementary Information Form, which is available at the school, together with a reference form from their parish priest or religious leader and return them to the school. This supplementary form is not mandatory; however, if one is not received, the governors will not be able to apply their admission criteria and the application will be considered under the 'any other children' category.
Children with a statement of Special Educational Needs naming the school as appropriate provision will be admitted to the school as stated in regulations.
Oversubscription criteria: September 2017 entry
- Baptised Catholic ‘looked after’ children or previously looked after children (see note 1)
- Looked after or previously looked after children other than Baptised Catholic looked after children
- Baptised practising Catholic siblings of children whose siblings will be in attendance at the school at the date of admission of the younger child, as verified by the baptismal certificate and Priest’s reference form.
- Baptised practising Catholic children, as verified by the baptismal certificate and Priest’s reference form.
- Baptised non-practising Catholic siblings of children whose siblings will be in attendance at the school at the date of admission of the younger child, as verified by the baptismal certificate.
- Baptised non-practising Catholic children, as verified by the baptismal certificate.
- Siblings of other children whose siblings will be in attendance at the date of admission.
- Children of other Christian denominations, as supported by a reference from their Minister of religion.
- Children of other Faiths, as supported by a reference from their Minister of religion.
- All other children.
In the event that any category is over-subscribed priority will be given to applicants in order of geographical proximity to the school (priority being given to the children who live closer to the school). The Governing Body will use NCC’s GIS computer system to determine the distance between the applicants address and the main school entrance. Distance measurements are carried out using a straight line basis.
Definition of Terms for St Brendan’s and St Edward’s Catholic Primary Schools
Catholic: This refers to children baptised in accordance with the rites of the Catholic Church.
Practising: This means weekly attendance at Sunday Mass.
Priest’s Reference Form: The form which parents fill in and give to the Priest for verification. The form is used to support applications for a place at the school.
Sibling: Sibling refers to brother or sister, half brother or sister, adopted brother or sister, step brother or sister, or the child of the parent/carer’s partner, children in foster care, and in every case, the child should be living in the same family unit at the same address.
Applicant’s address: The applicants address is defined as the address registered with the child’s General Practitioner.
Christian: Christian is defined as a member of one of the churches in full membership with Churches Together in Britain and Ireland at the time when admission decisions are made. Proof of church membership must be provided by the appropriate church leader.
Parent(s): The biological parent(s), or the person(s) with legal responsibility for the child for whom the application is being made.
Oversubscription criteria 2016 to 2017 (in-year applications)
- Baptised Catholic ‘looked after’ children or previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence or special guardianship order (see note 1)
- Baptised and practising Catholic children living in the parish of St. Edward’s, Kettering (see note 2)
- Baptised and practising Catholic children living in other parishes (see note 3)
- Baptised Catholic children living in the parish of St. Edward’s, Kettering (see note 4)
- Baptised Catholic children living in other parishes (see note 5)
- Looked after children or previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence or special guardianship order other than Catholic (see note 1)
- Siblings of children who are still attending the school at the time of admission (see note 6)
- Children of other Christian denominations (see note 7)
- Children of other faiths (see note 8)
- Any other children whose parents express a preference for our school
Notes (these notes form part of the oversubscription criteria)
Looked after children/LAC (or previously looked after) also know as children in public care. This is a 'looked after child' or a child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence or special guardianship order. A looked after child who is a) in the care of a local authority, or b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services functions (see the definition in Section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989).
Baptised Catholic: children who have been baptised as Catholics or have been formally received into the Catholic Church. All applicants seeking admission under this criterion will be asked to provide evidence that the child has been baptised as a Catholic or has been received into the Catholic Church. A baptismal certificate or a letter from their priest confirming their baptism or reception into the Catholic Church will be required.
b) Practising Catholic: the strength of evidence of commitment to the faith as demonstrated by the level of the family’s mass attendance on Sundays. This evidence must be provided by a priest at the church(es) where the family normally worship. “Evidence of commitment” means at least one parent/carer and the child attends mass on Sundays as a central part of their lives.
c) Children living within St. Edward’s parish: a map of the parish boundary can be viewed at the school.
- Children matching 2a and b and living outside parish boundary.
Baptised non-practising Catholic children matching 2a and c.
- Baptised non-practising Catholic children matching 2a and living outside parish boundary.
- Priority in this category will be given in the following order:
- children of other Christian denominations
- children of other faiths
- any other children whose parents express a preference for our school.
- Christian children who are baptised or dedicated members of other Christian churches as recognised by Churches Together in England (membership must be verified in writing by the appropriate church leader).
- Children of other faiths who are members of a recognised faith group (membership must be verified in writing by the appropriate faith leader).
Siblings: sibling children will be given priority in categories 1 to 6
Definition of siblings
- A brother or sister living at the same address (within a family unit) including adopted children, step-brothers, step-sisters and children in foster care
- The sibling must be in the school at the time of application and be likely to remain in the school at the proposed date of admission
In the event of categories being oversubscribed after all the above criteria is considered, priority will be given to children living in closest proximity to the school from the address point of the applicant’s home to the address point of the school. This will be measured by the NCC’s GIS.