Personal Education Plans (PEPs)

Every child in the care of the local authority has a Care Plan. ​A PEP forms part of this and is a single working document about the child or young person's education. A current PEP is a statutory requirement for school age children and good practice for any child in any form of education setting.

What is in a PEP?

A child's PEP is developed and reviewed with all key stakeholders – reflecting a working partnership and a shared understanding of what needs to happen to help the child achieve his or her potential.

It represents shared expertise and knowledge of the child and should set high expectations of rapid progress. A copy of the PEP must be held both at the school and within the local authority database.

When is a PEP needed?

A PEP will need to be carried out or reviewed:

  • Before or when a child is received into care (Care Planning Regs – within 10 days) – ready for first care review (Initial PEP)
  • At least every term (3 times per academic year)
  • When a child in care changes school (within 20 days)
  • When a child in care changes placement 
  • For any concerns – call a PEP review
  • To access specialist Educational Psychology support for issues related to neglect and/or abuse

How do I arrange a PEP?

Contact the social worker for the child, who will then speak to other professionals including the education setting.

How do I complete a PEP?

All PEPs for children looked after by Northamptonshire will need to be undertaken using the ePEP system.
Day-to-day administrative ePep support is provided by the Virtual School team. 

Complete a PEP

Support completing a PEP

The guide below will help you to use the ePep system:

You can request a login to access ePeps if you don't already have one by contacting the Virtual School team.

Support with post-16 ePEPs

The post-16 ePEP has been tailored to meet the needs of this group. The Virtual School has produced guidance to support the generic guidance. 

If you have any queries, please contact the Virtual School.

How do I record children's views?

The children and young people’s view should be facilitated by the Designated Teachers and recorded on the ePEP system. No paper copies are required to capture children and young people’s views.

How do I record carers' views?

When you have gathered the carer's views, this can be uploaded onto the ePEP as an attached document to the Actions section. 

How do I request involvement of the educational psychology service?

Educational psychologists have specialist skills in working directly with children and training in child development.

An Educational Psychologist can bring further insight into:

  • The way that a child’s development may have been affected by factors present in a neglectful and/or abusive environment.
  • The manner in which a child’s behaviour and/or learning might be affected by difficulties with attachment and with the experience of trauma.
  • The manner in which social interactions (including teaching) within the child’s environment, may be constructed in a way that will help support the child’s recovery from the negative experiences of his or her past.

Education settings can refer to their link Education Psychologist or via their area Education Psychologist for any child who would benefit from this support.

More information

The Education Inclusion Officer for mental health also provides support for schools and young people. The document below provides more information on the type of support that is provided:

 When and how to request support

The document below provides information on when and how to request support:

Targeted mental health in school support

The Virtual School also work with the Targeted Mental Health in Schools (TaMHS) team to build capacity in schools, promote positive mental health and support the mental health needs of all children but especially the needs of looked after children. This will be achieved through:

 Back to

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Related pages

Please Add Some Content

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Useful links

Please Add Some Content
Northamptonshire County Council

Northamptonshire County Council

about 20 hours ago

Online retailer fined after admitting false description of leather wallets

View on Facebook

Private fostering

Do you work with children? If so, you may know of private fostering arrangements. This is where a child or young person up to the age of 16 (18 if ...

View on Facebook

Our 30 Days 30 Way UK emergency preparedness campaign is back! Launching on September 1st, the campaign will feature a daily message to encourage us ...

View on Facebook

Payments system - intermittent downtime

View on Facebook

Fostering and Adoption Open Evening

If you've been thinking about using your skills and experiences to help others and make a difference, this could be the time you change a life forever...

View on Facebook

Free 30 hours of childcare for 3 and 4 year olds

If you're the parent of a 3/4 year old and you’re working 16 hours a week on minimum or living wage, you could be eligible for 30 hours funded childca...

View on Facebook