It is illegal to purchase cigarettes if you are under 18. It also illegal for someone to buy cigarettes on your behalf if you are under 18.
Is smoking bad for me?
People smoke for a variety of reasons, such as relieving stress, peer pressure, socialising, and from habit or addiction. You may, like many smokers, want to give up cigarettes for health or financial reasons, but you might find that hard.
Yes. There are 4,500 chemicals in tobacco smoke – many of which are bad for your health and can make you ill.
- Smoking decreases your lung capacity
- Chemicals in cigarettes restrict blood flow to your skin. Smokers can have more wrinkled and saggy faces in their mid 20s
- Smoking is really expensive. Think what you could do with that kind of money!
- Someone who starts smoking at 15 is three times more likely die of cancer than someone who starts smoking in their mid 20s
- Smoking in your home can harm your family and pets
- Smoking in the home can harm the health of your family and pets
What about e-cigarettes?
Some people now smoke e-cigarettes instead of tobacco, or use them as a way of giving up smoking. They produce a vapour that is less harmful than tobacco smoke. However many e-cigarettes contain nicotine and the long terms effects of using them is not yet known.
Where can I find help to quit smoking?
Did you know?
If you smoked two packs of cigarettes a week and then quit, you could save yourself nearly £1000 a year.