Join in the fun with this year’s Summer Reading Challenge
Make a difference this summer! Northamptonshire Libraries are recruiting young volunteers aged 14 and above to join us this summer for the annual Summer Reading Challenge.
Volunteering is a great way for young people to gain experience for their CV, meet new people, increase their confidence and can also count towards Duke of Edinburgh and Arts Award accreditation.
This year’s theme is Animal Agents and there will be lots of activities and events taking place in our libraries to support the Challenge. Last year over 100 young people volunteered with us and this year we want even more! All of our volunteers get a free goody bag and will receive full training.
Find out more
- Helping to prepare information to promote the Summer Reading Challenge
- Promoting the Summer Reading Challenge to children in local school assemblies from the middle of June until the end of July (or when the school term ends)
- Creating eye catching adverts, posters and displays
- Using social media to promote the Summer Reading Challenge
- Joining children up to the Summer Reading Challenge
- Talking to children about the books they have read
- Handing out awards and certificates
- Keeping records of participant numbers
- Be welcoming and friendly
- Be able to talk with enthusiasm about the Summer Reading Challenge and inspire children to take part
- Be able to talk confidently to children and encourage them throughout the challenge
- Be able to undertake simple administration tasks
- Have basic computer and internet skills
- Gaining and developing experience of promotion and marketing
- Using or developing organisational and planning skills
- Developing communication skills and confidence
- Receiving a Summer Reading Challenge Volunteer pack (Assistants and Team Leaders only)
- Receiving a certificate to evidence your involvement (Assistants and team Leaders only)
- Gaining useful experience of working with children and developing new skills, all of which can be included on a CV.
- Supporting the development of children’s literacy
- Meeting new people and being part of the LibraryPlus team
- Receiving a reference from the Library Manager
How to applyFind an opportunity
Photos © Dale Cherry 2017 for The Reading Agency, with thanks to Newham Council and Calverton Primary School