Make your home safe
See the Gov.UK website for advice on how to make your home safe from fire.
Home Fire Safety Checks
We offer and prioritise home fire safety checks for people who are unable to help themselves or who need specialist advice. During these visits we can give tailor-made advice about the following:
Request a home fire safety check
- Preventing common fires
- What to do if a fire starts and the best escape plan
- Smoke alarms and smoke alarm testing
- In some circumstances we may be able to install a smoke detector for you.
People who do not have access to the internet can call 0300 1261000 (dial option 5) and someone from the Customer Contact Centre at Northamptonshire County Council will complete the Home Fire Safety Check Referral form over the phone.
The number is charged at a local rate and inclusive mobile phone minutes can be used.
Partner agency home fire safety check referral
You can also make a referral for a home fire safety check on behalf of an agency:Make a referral
Who will carry out your home fire safety check?
- We will always inform you of who will be attending your home for a pre-booked appointment.
- If you are approached as a result of 'direct engagement' in your area please be assured that all our staff will wear a valid service ID card. These can be checked with the service by
- We are working in partnership with the British Red Cross, Royal British Legion Poppy Calls and Age UK. They may contact you to carry out your home fire safety check on our behalf.