A group of young Northamptonshire musicians is to represent the county in the finals of a national jazz competition
The jazz ensemble, Time Team, has been selected to be one of the three finalists in the under 17 category of the national Yamaha Jazz Experience competition.
The group of 16 year olds come from all over the county:
- Thomas Barford – tenor sax (Campion School- Bugbrooke)
- Jay Brown – Piano (Brooke Weston CTC - Corby)
- Ross Lumbard – Trombone (NSB Northampton)
- David McQuarrie – bass (Bishop Stopford - Kettering)
- Sam Salt – Guitar (NSB – Northampton)
- Jake Tulley – Trumpet (Campion School - Bugbrooke)
- David Williams – drums (Sir Christopher Hatton School - Wellingborough)
- Andrew Wilson – drums (NSB – Northampton)
The group will be performing at the prestigious Cheltenham Jazz Festival on Saturday 1st May, in the finalists' event where they will be playing two pieces at the Cheltenham Festival: B flat Blues by Jamie Abersold and Caravan by Duke Ellington.
The Cheltenham Jazz Festival is a major international event which hosts such stars as Jamie Cullam, Carla Bley, Dave Holland and the Guy Barker Orchestra.
The judging panel was made up of award-winning Jazz FM broadcaster Helen Mayhew, top UK jazz educator Richard Michael, and from the Yamaha team, Bill Martin.