Unwanted cameras, children’s toys and power tools are just some of the things Northamptonshire pupils are encouraging people to recycle as part of national Recycle Week (June 21st to June 27th).
Schools taking part in the ‘Plug into your local school’ scheme are asking people to take unwanted electrical items to their local county recycling centre, where in return, the person will receive a token to give to a participating school. Prizes are up for grabs for the most successful schools.
The Northamptonshire Waste Education Team, which is a partnership project between Northamptonshire County Council and the district and borough councils, is supporting the initiative by awarding the two schools that collect the most tokens £100 in recycled stationery vouchers.
WRAP, which promotes recycling nationally, will give the school in the region that collects the most tokens £500 gardening vouchers and the school in the country to receive the most tokens will receive £1000 gardening vouchers.
Cllr Chris Millar, chair of the Northamptonshire Waste Partnership, said: ““It is actually really simple to recycle or reuse your small electrical items, and with schools being involved too, you can support your local community at the same time.
“However you choose to get involved in Recycle Week, together we can make a big difference.”
Each person accumulates three new electrical items each year on average, or 173 million nationally, but only one in five of those small electrical items get recycled.
People who take their items to the recycling centre during the week can either register the token they receive online at www.recyclenow.com/redeem or can hand it in to a participating school. To find a local recycling centre or participating school then visit the Northamptonshire County Council website at www.northamptonshire.gov.uk and search for ‘plug into your local school’.
The schools taking part are;
- Bridgewater Primary School
- Earls Barton Junior School
- Falconer's Hill Junior School
- Falconer's Hill Infant School
- Geddington Primary School
- Great Doddington
- Greatworth Primary School
- Hackleton C of E Primary School
- Havelock Infant School
- Manor School
- Milton Parochial Primary School
- Moulton Primary School
- Parklands Primary School
- Simon de Senlis Primary School
- South End Junior School
- St Edwards Catholic Primary School
- The Bramptons Primary School
- The Good Shepherd Catholic Primary School The King John
- Middle School Upton Meadows Primary School Wilby C of E
- Primary School Woodford C of E Primary School
- Woodland View Primary School Wren Spinney Community
- Special School Alfred Street Junior School
- Braybrooke Primary School
- Little Harrowden Primary School
- Loddington C of E Primary School
- St James Infant School
- Higham Ferrers Nursery & Infant School
- Welton Church of England Primary School
- Victoria Primary School
For more information on recycle week including the Rewards for Schools initiative visit www.recyclenowpartners.com