The weekend of the 23rd and 24th July 2011 is the London 2012 Open Weekend and marks the one year countdown to the opening of the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games.
To celebrate this and to start to build the momentum to what promises to be an exciting 12 months, a series of Open Weekend activities will take place across the county.
As part of the Open Weekend, one of the official 2012 mascots, Wenlock, will be returning to the county to take part in celebrations in Corby, Daventry and Kettering.
The events are designed to showcase the many different sporting and cultural activities that are available for young and old to get up, get out and get active. They also aim to support the aspirations held by the organising committee of the games that the Olympics will engage with the whole of the British Isles and not just those living in London.
Chris Mallender, Chair of the Northamptonshire 2012 Steering Group and Chief executive of Corby Borough Council, said “The Open Weekend 2011 is a great opportunity for the county to showcase it’s many assets and to use the power of the Olympics to inspire, motivate and engage local communities to strive to succeed. The 2011 programme is incredibly diverse and offers something for all, from dance to dodgeball, zumba to zorb balls, badminton to boccia – it really promises to be a great sporting and cultural celebration for the county”.
Events and activities will be taking place in the following locations:
- Corby town centre, pool and Cube – Friday 22nd, Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th
- Daventry Leisure Centre Saturday 23rd and Althorp House Sunday 24th East Northants Boccia competition Sunday 24th
- Kettering – Blaze Dance relay Saturday 23rd and Sports taster sessions on Sunday 24th
- Northampton – Lings Forum 23rd September and fitness fusion on Sunday 24th
- Towcester Centre for Leisure taster day on Saturday 23rd Redwell Leisure Centre Sunday 24th July
For a full list of what is happening and how to get involved in the fun, visit www.northamptonshiresport.org