Northamptonshire County Council gritting crews have been out to salt the Priority 1 network twice, both times having snow ploughs fitted to clear the highway of accumulations.
Crews went out at 9.30am as the snow arrived, going out again at 1.30pm as several centimetres started to settle across the county. Grit bins have also been replenished as required.
Snow is expected to continue to fall through this evening and overnight but it is anticipated it will become lighter and more patchy. However road surface temperatures are expected to drop below freezing, leading to a risk of ice.
Drivers are being reminded to take care whilst driving in snowy and icy conditions and allow more time for their journey.
Advice on driving in snowy conditions includes:
- Drive at a slow speed in as high a gear as possible; accelerate and brake very gently
- Drive particularly slowly on bends where loss of control is more likely. Brake progressively on the straight before you reach a bend. Having slowed down, steer smoothly round the bend, avoiding sudden actions
- Check your grip on the road surface when there is snow or ice by choosing a safe place to brake gently. If the steering feels unresponsive this may indicate ice and your vehicle losing its grip on the road. When travelling on ice, tyres make virtually no noise.
- Drive with care, even if the roads have been treated.
- Keep well back from the road user in front as stopping distances can be ten times greater than on dry roads.
More information can be found at www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/winter