Northamptonshire County Council will soon begin highways works in the area around Northampton Railway Station.
The work will start in late April and will be carried out in a number of distinct phases as development of the new station and the neighbouring Innovation Centre progresses.
The county council will be working in partnership with the newly created Northamptonshire Highways on the project and will co-ordinate the phases to minimise disruption.
Phase one starts on Friday, April 26 when the front vehicle access to the station, off Black Lion Hill will be closed permanently. From that point forward, vehicle access to the station will be from the entrance off St Andrew’s Road only.
Additional access improvements, including a new left turn from Black Lion Hill into St Andrew’s Road, will be constructed in later phases of the works. In the meantime, station users are advised to plan ahead to avoid disruption to their journey. In particular, if travelling from the west, station users should access St Andrew’s Road via Spencer Bridge Road.
This first phase of the works also consists of diversion of utilities for the Innovation Centre and lane restrictions will be in place. The work is being carried out in stages and the construction programme has been carefully planned by all parties involved to allow works to take place side by side with minimum disruption to the travelling public and the area.
Full road closures will not be required and clearly signed alternative arrangements will be needed in phases two and three. This work has been programmed to mainly take place during the school holidays when there is less traffic. Temporary traffic lights will be used and this arrangement will be in place until November.
A spokesman for Northamptonshire County Council said: “We recognise that there may be some inconvenience to local people and businesses during construction and we will seek to minimise this disruption as much as possible.
“Some work, principally the removal of the island and resurfacing, will need to take place at night and during weekends to minimise the disruption. We will provide information in advance of when this work will take place.”
The work phases are as follows:
- Phase one – starting April 26 and, as outlined above, will relocate the vehicle entrance to the railway station and see utilities work carried out.
- Phase two – May - work to remove traffic island.
- Phase three – July and August – remove junction signals and start work on new road layout.
- Phase four – September and October – Construct new traffic island and carry out resurfacing work, installation of street furniture and lighting.
- Phase five – November – highways works by Northampton Station complete. Traffic will be able to use the left hand turn from Black Lion Hill onto St Andrews Road.