Traffic management plans have been put in place to reduce congestion this weekend when fixtures for Cobblers and Saints clash.
On Saturday the Cobblers will be welcoming Scunthorpe United to Sixfields Stadium, and the Saints will be hosting Exeter Chiefs at Franklin’s Gardens.
What's the plan?
There are two main elements to the plan – firstly Northampton Borough Council has arranged to open the Claret Car Park on Edgar Mobbs Way for free to anyone coming to the big games.
Secondly Northamptonshire County Council has introduced measures so that vehicles leaving the Sixfields Stadium at the end of the match will be able to exit Sixfields car park as quickly as possible.
- Free parking at the Claret Car Park will be available on all match days when there is a clash of fixtures involving matches at Sixfields Stadium and Franklin’s Gardens. The Claret Car Park is located on Edgar Mobbs Way.
- The car park is conveniently located a short walk from both stadiums, offering more parking to fans who might be tempted to park in side streets.
- The county council will also take action against inconsiderate motorists looking to park in residential areas.
- The basis of the traffic management is to direct supporters either north on the M1 via junction 16 or south on the M1 via junction 15a.
- To accommodate this, a designated left turn filter lane will be formed on the exit from Edgar Mobbs Way onto Upton Way.
- This basically means vehicles don’t have to give way exiting this junction so Edgar Mobbs Way will clear relatively quickly.
- A similar layout will be installed at the junction of Walter Tull Way and the Weedon Road forcing all vehicles west towards the motorway (junction 16).
- During the period of the Traffic Management a lane will have to be closed on the Weedon Rd/Upton Way roundabout along with Lane 1 of Upton Way between roundabouts.
- During this traffic management arrangement visitors wishing to enter Sixfields Leisure will only have access via the roundabout adjacent to Edgar Mobbs Way.
- However if travelling along Upton Way these vehicles will have to travel up to the main Weedon Road roundabout from Upton Way and come back down as.
- The traffic management will be installed approximately one hour before the end of the match and will remain on for a maximum of three hours.
- However site supervisors will monitor the traffic carefully and if the demand is drastically reduced before the three hour window we will remove the traffic management.