A programme of events will take place in Northamptonshire County Council’s libraries next week as part of National Volunteers' Week (1st to 7th June) to help people find the right opportunity to get involved in their community - either by volunteering in libraries, other council services or with charities and community organisations.
Volunteers have been supporting others in the community through the county's 36 libraries for several years. There are now more than 800 volunteers who help others in a variety of ways such as sharing valuable IT skills, running activities for families, offering literacy support, or delivering books to housebound customers.
Cabinet member for public health and wellbeing, Councillor Robin Brown said: “Our library volunteers demonstrate the difference that a volunteering scheme can make, not just to council services but also to the local community. It’s also hugely rewarding for the volunteers themselves as by getting involved they are able to develop their skills, meet new people and support others in their communities.”
Twenty-five events have been planned for National Volunteers' Week, highlights include:
- A volunteering fair at Northampton’s Central Library on Monday 2nd June from 11am to 2pm, organised in collaboration with Northampton Volunteering Centre.
- A volunteering and skills fair at Kettering Library on Friday 6th June from 11am to 2pm, with organisations including Northamptonshire Police, Job Centre Plus, Evolve Your Future and the Kettering Voluntary Network.
- Daventry Volunteer’s Centre and the county council will be available at Daventry Library’s Volunteering Open Day on 3rd June, from 11am to 3pm.
- Nene Valley Community Action and the county council will be available at Rushden Library on 4th June between 11am and 3pm.
- South Northamptonshire Volunteer Bureau and the county council will be available at Towcester Library on 5th June between 11am and 3pm.
- Wellingborough Library’s Volunteering Open Day will take place on Saturday 7 June, joined by the Northamptonshire Association of Youth Clubs and others to showcase opportunities for people to gain skills.
- Library staff and volunteers will be on hand at Corby Library on Saturday 7 June to talk to customers about volunteering (11am-3pm).
There will also be a series of drop in events in other libraries where people can see volunteers in action, leading activities and talking about their experiences.
For details of all the events planned, people can visit their local library or see the council's events calendar.
Alternatively, people can find out how to get involved in libraries and other council services at www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/getinvolved