People across Northamptonshire are being invited to consider taking advantage of one of the many volunteering opportunities available across the county.
This weekend (Sunday 25th January) sees the launch of Get Involved Week, organised by Northamptonshire County Council and Voluntary Impact Northamptonshire, which aims to raise awareness of the volunteer roles on offer.
How could you help?
Volunteers can give their time to help out at their local library, listen to children read or become a school governor, lend a hand at the county’s archive service, take part in a nature or wildlife project at a country park or volunteer with the council’s emergency planning team.
There are also a wide range of opportunities available with various local charities and community groups including the Air Ambulance, Home Start, the Wildlife Trust and the Alzheimer’s Society Northamptonshire.
Roger Pratten, who volunteers for the Northampton Volunteer Car Scheme, said: “I love volunteering, it brightens up my day to be able to help people. Having used the Volunteer Car Scheme myself after a kidney and heart transplant, I know the difference it makes to people’s lives.
“I get a great deal of satisfaction out of providing a service and would recommend volunteering to anyone.”
Throughout Get Involved Week, people will be able to visit any of the county’s 36 libraries to find more information about the volunteer roles available.
There will also be a series of special events taking place to promote volunteering during the week:
- Sunday 25th January, 1.30pm to 3.30pm – Weston Favell Library – Get involved in Emergency Response – Volunteering Fair
- Monday 26th January, 10am to 1pm – Corby Library – Get Involved Corby: Community Café
- Wednesday 28th January, 10.30am to 1.30pm – Wellingborough Library – Health and Wellbeing Volunteering Fair
- Thursday 29th January, 10.30am to 1pm – Towcester Library – Get Involved South Northants: Community Café
- Thursday 29th January, 3.30pm to 6.30pm – Weston Favell library – Children and Families Volunteering Fair
- Friday 30th January, 10am to 1pm – Rushden Library – Get Involved East Northants: Community Café
- Friday 30th January, 2pm to 5pm – Brixworth Library – Get Involved Daventry and Brixworth: Community Café
- Saturday 31st January, 11am to 2pm – Central Library, Northampton – Get Involved Northampton: Community Café
- Saturday 31st January, 11am to 2pm – Kettering Library – Get Involved Kettering: Community Café
Cllr Robin Brown, county council cabinet member for public health and wellbeing, said: “Research suggests that 17% of residents in Northamptonshire are keen to get more involved in their local community, and there is a wealth of exciting opportunities available for people who have some time to give.
“Whether they’d like to learn a new skill, meet new people or give something back to their community, becoming a volunteer can be an incredibly rewarding thing to do.
“I’d like to invite people across the county to take advantage of Get Involved Week to find out more about the opportunities on offer.”
Find out more
People can also search for volunteering opportunities online by visiting www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/getinvolved or www.voluntaryimpact.org.uk or drop in to their local library, Voluntary Impact Northamptonshire or their nearest volunteer centre.