Contact provides information, advice and support to families caring for children and young people with disabilities or additional needs.
Contact have up to date information on local services and sources of support for families with disabled children.
Contact support families with disabled children, no matter what their condition or disability.
Contact services are free and open to any parent/carer or family member. Contact also support practitioners working with families.
The East Midlands team offers:
- Free information workshops for groups of parent carers including coping and support, behaviour that challenges us, helping your child to sleep, transition from adult to child services and information about benefits
- Local information on local services, sources of further and specialist advice and support
- Information guides on everyday living such as financial help and benefits, accessing help and support, play and leisure activities for families and education, health and social care services
- Ways to meet other local parents through support groups, meetings, workshops and events
- Free information sessions for professionals working with families with disabled children
- Resources for professionals, to help them point families to local services
- Advice, information and how to access local support is provided by the helpline
For information or advice on any aspect of caring for a disabled child contact the national freephone helpline
Telephone: 0808 808 3555
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5pm,
CAF's trained advisers include education specialists and a dedicated welfare rights team.
Their website offers up-to-date information on hundreds of medical conditions, extensive information on benefits and services as well as a wider range of support, information and advice for families. You can link with families going through similar experiences and download the resources.
Contact is publishing a free resource, The Helpful Guide for Families with Disabled Children. The book is for use by families in early days, who are unsure where to turn for help and support. It can be ordered via Contact’s helpline on 0808 808 3555 or via the Contact website
Parents can follow them on Facebook CAF Facebook
or Twitter: CAF Twitter
as sources of information and links to other parents.