Type of service:
Local Government Department
Northamptonshire County Council, One Angel Square, Angel Street, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN1 1ED
Where a child has or may have a significant vision impairment, the Sensory Impairment Service (SIS) will assess their functional vision and identify the needs in relation to their vision impairment.
SIS can provide support directly to the pupil, and to the pupil's family and to their educational setting,
Support for Educational Settings
A Qualified Teacher of the Visually Impaired (QTVI) will make an initial assessment of the pupil's functional vision and will provide recommendations and identify any necessary input.
Support for Parents
Support for Children and Young People
- The SIS will provide direct support to parents or carers, in the family home, for babies and young children
- Help with early development and learning through play
- Promote parent's confidence
- Provide opportunities to access advice and support including peer and parent groups
- Provide training in specialist skills including Braille and Information Technology
- Provide support and guidance at times of transition.
- Provide direct teaching from a QTVI with specialist skills such as Braille, the use of specialist equipment , ICT and independent living, mobility and learning skills.
- Promote and develop emotional wellbeing, social and communication skills, including peer awareness sessions and training
- Provide opportunities to access advice and support including peer groups and activities
- Little Dandelions - a gardening club for children with a visual impairment. It takes place at Manor Farm, Mears Ashby on a Tuesday afternoon in the school holidays.
- Twinkle Time - a sensory music session for children with visual impairment age three years and under held at Penrith Drive Childrens Centre in Wellingborough
This team is part of the SEND Specialist Support Services.
Referral form is available on Specialist Support Services (SSS)
- Age - Early Years (0-5)
- Age - School (5-18)
- Age - Adulthood (18-25)
- SEND descriptors
- Contact service direct
- No referral needed
Last updated on: