Type of service:
Forums And Support Networks
Meadowfield, Goose Green, Oxenhope, West Yorkshire BD22 9JD
YoungSibs is for children and young people who have a brother or sister who is disabled, has special educational needs or a serious long-term condition. It is for siblings in the UK aged 6 to 17.
Growing up with a disabled brother or sister there are good times and difficult times. It is like this in all families even without disability or illness. Sometimes siblings like being with their brother or sister; sometimes they don’t. This is normal. It is normal to feel caring and protective and sometimes to feel fed up and irritated with your brother or sister.
Why do other siblings use the YoungSibs website?
Most siblings say they would like to have:
• More time and attention from parents
• More information about disability
• To know how to cope with difficult situations
• Other people to understand what it is like for them
• That they didn’t have to do so much to help their family
YoungSibs aims to help siblings.
How can I get information on the YoungSibs website?
• You can read the pages for siblings about different disabilities
• You can find out how to cope with your feelings as a sibling
• You can learn tips for siblings for dealing with difficult situations
• You can find out how siblings can enjoy family life
How do I chat to other siblings?
• You can share your feelings and experiences with other siblings on YoungSibs chat.
• You can get ideas from each other and get support from other siblings going through the same things as you. Join the forum for young siblings now.
How can I get help with a sibling issue?
• The YoungSibs team can help you with any question or sibling issue.
• All you have to do is send your message to the YoungSibs team.
• They will reply to you with ideas or will help you get support from your parent or school.
• Your message and reply will be private unless you want to have it published for others to see on the sibling letters page.
Are there any leaflets for siblings?
• YoungSibs have a brochure for young siblings that they can post to you.
• You can tell them you want a brochure by sending us a message.
Contact provider for cost details
6 years - 17 years
- Age - School (5-18)
- Contact service direct
- No referral needed
Last updated on: