The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) sets the standards that all childcare providers must meet to ensure that children learn and develop and are kept healthy and safe. It covers the first stage of a child’s care, learning and development, from birth to 5 years old.
What is my legal duty as a childcare provider?
The national EYFS statutory framework sets out:
- the safeguarding and welfare requirements you must follow to keep children safe and promote their welfare
- the seven areas of learning and development which shape children's play and experiences
- the early learning goals for each of the seven areas of learning and development
- the requirements for assessing children's progress and reporting to parents and carers
- GOV.UK: EYFS statutory framework
The following documents help support the EYFS framework: