Where the number of applications for admission is greater than the published admission number, applications will be considered against the criteria (and order) set out below. After the admission of pupils with an EHC Plan where The Compass Primary Academy is named on the statement, the criteria will be applied in the order in which they are set out below:
- Looked after children and all previously looked after children.
- Children with a sibling link.
- Children of staff where that member of staff has been employed at the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made, and / or the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage in the area.
- Children who live in the defined area as described here: within the area bordered by Barton Road where it meets the River Ise, the A6900 London Road up to the A4300, to include Naseby Road where it borders the River Ise. This includes all roads leading from main roads directly feeding off Deeble Road (all houses within this defined area).
- Other children.
If the admission number is exceeded within any criterion, priority will be given to those children who live nearest to the school. Measurements are carried out on a straight line basis from the child’s home to the address point of the school.
In the case where multiple applications for the same shared dwelling occurs (e.g. flats), a randomiser will be used to decide the priority in which the pupils within the shared dwelling are selected in the event of a tiebreaker. Independent verification of the random allocation process will be obtained.
The Compass Primary Academy – Sibling link
A sibling link will arise where one of the conditions in each of A and B are satisfied.
- a brother or sister living at the same address, who shares the same parents
- a half-brother or half-sister living at the same address, where two children share one common parent
- a step brother or step sister living at the same address, where two children are related by a parent’s marriage
- adopted or fostered children living in the same household
For the sibling link to apply, one of the siblings must be a registered pupil at the named Academy at the time of application and is expected to remain on roll at the point of admission.
Additional sibling link information
Although the definition of 'sibling' does not specify whether the sibling should be younger or older, it should be noted that for admissions the sibling link will only be valid where the older sibling is on roll at the academy at the time of application and is expected to be still on roll at the time of admission.