Northampton School for Girls, Spinney Hill Road, Northampton NN3 6DG
Oversubscription criteria September 2018 entry
ALL students who seek a place at the school under ANY of the criteria below MUST complete an NSG Supplementary Information Form and submit it to the school by 5.00 pm on Tuesday 31 October 2017, AS WELL AS submitting the Local Authority Application Form to the Local Authority by 5.00 pm on Tuesday 31 October 2017.
Students who wish to have the opportunity of gaining a place under the Aptitude criterion MUST attend the Aptitude test day which occur prior to the deadline for completing the NSG supplementary information form. There will be no further opportunity to be tested for aptitude after these dates.
Music aptitude test will take place on Thursday 12 October 2017.
ALL applicants will be required to attend on the morning of Saturday 11 November 2017 in order to sit an Ability Test, the results of which will be used to both operate the banding system fairly and to provide valuable management information used for setting purposes. For details of the operation of the banding system see the admissions policy.
Oversubscription admission criteria
The school’s admissions number is 270. The school can admit up to 270 girls in any one year. Where there are more applicants than places available, following the allocation of places to students with an education, health and care plan (EHC), the following criteria will then be applied in order:
- Children in public care (looked after children) or previously in public care.
- Students who will have an older sibling continuing at NSG at the time of admission (see note 1).
- Children of staff* (see note 2).
- Up to a maximum of 10% of places (27) allocated on the basis of aptitude for music* (see note 3).
- Other* (see note 4).
After the allocation of places to students with EHC plans and oversubscription criteria 1 to 4, the remaining students will be placed in five bands of cognitive ability. The following process is used:
- The bands of cognitive ability will be of equal size and will be based on the same common ability test.
- The number to be admitted from each band is determined by dividing the places remaining by five.
Criterion 2 – children who will have an older sibling continuing at NSG at the time of admission.
Children applying who have an elder sister or brother who will still be at the school when the applicant starts in the September will take priority (i.e. the sibling is on roll at the school both at the point of application and at the point of admission). For the purposes of this criterion, ‘sibling’ is taken to include a step-brother/sister, half-brother/sister, or child who is adopted or fostered, in all cases providing they are living at the same address. Although their place is not dependent on the performance in the common ability test, all girls applying for a sibling criterion place are required to sit the test in order that the information may be used for grouping purposes.
Criterion 3 - Children of staff at the school
Children of staff directly employed by Northampton School for Girls will be allocated a place if either or both of the following conditions are met:
- Where the member of staff has been employed at the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made.
- The member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage.
Criterion 4 - Aptitude for Music
“A child with aptitude is one who is identified as being able to benefit from teaching in a specific subject or who demonstrates a particular capacity to succeed in that subject. When considering whether the child has an aptitude for a subject the admission authority must determine whether a child demonstrates a particular capacity to learn or to develop skills in that subject, and that she can benefit from the particular expertise and facilities at that school”. School Admissions Code – Department for Education.
- If you wish your daughter to be considered for a place under Criterion 4, aptitude for Music, then your daughter MUST attend the aptitude test on Thursday 12 October 2017.
Other pupils - Fair allocation
- Parents will receive information about the outcome of the test before the closing date for secondary applications on 31 October so as to support them in making an informed choice of school. There will be no further test days after the application deadline.
- Please note that the test does not require any preparation or revision. Your daughter will not need to bring a musical instrument.
Fair, or random, allocation of the remaining places is used to decide which students will be offered the remaining places after Criteria 1 to 4 have been applied. This will be done by allocating places in a statistically random order generated by computer. This process is approved by the Department for Education as a fair and objective method of allocating places when there are more applicants than there are places available in any band and the number of places available is exceeded within any criterion. See School Admissions policy for further information.
Twins, triplets or other multiple births
In the case of twins/multiple births from the same household, places will be offered above the published admission number to the other twin or multiple birth children whose twin or multiple birth sibling was offered a place within the admission number. If the qualifying sibling withdraws, then the second place (or other places) is forfeit.If you have any queries about our Admissions Policy or Procedures, please telephone the school and ask to speak to the Head teacher’s PA. The Admissions team at the local authority will also be able to answer any queries.