Sir Christopher Hatton Academy, The Pyghtle, Wellingborough, Northants NN8 4RP
Oversubscription criteria September 2019 entry
Following the allocation of places to pupils who have an EHC plan which names the academy as appropriate provision, where applications for admissions exceed the academy’s PAN, the following criteria will be applied, in the order set out below, to decide which pupils shall be admitted.
- Looked After Children and all Previously Looked After Children.
- 10% (24 places) allocated on an aptitude test in ICT (see Note A).
Fair Banding allocation (see Note B) in the following order:
- Children of employees (see Note C).
- Children with an older sibling already in attendance and expected to continue at the academy at the time of admission of the younger child (see Note D).
- Children who attend Hatton Academies Trust Primary schools. Specifically, Oakway Academy, Victoria Primary Academy, Ecton Village Primary Academy. A total of 25 places i.e. 5 places in each band will be allocated on a random basis using this criterion (See Note E).
- Any remaining places in each band will be allocated on a random basis to primary schools with a traditional link to Sir Christopher Hatton Academy (see Note F).
- Other children.
- If there are remaining places after the Aptitude and Fair Banding allocations, then criterion 4 and 5 will apply.
Attendance at a primary school that has traditional links to Sir Christopher Hatton Academy (Note F).
Allocation of places
In all criteria where there are more applicants than available places, priority will be determined through a process of random allocation. Names of applicants will be selected at random in the presence of an independent observer.
Note A. Aptitude test in ICT
As a Specialist Mathematics and Computing Academy, the Board of Directors have decided that 10% (24) places are allocated on the basis of aptitude in Information Technology established by tests taken at the academy. Applicants are invited to take the ICT Aptitude Test at the academy on 13 October 2018.
Applications to take the ICT Aptitude Test must be made on the supplementary information form. This form is available on the academy website, from the academy reception, and also provided in the prospectus. The form must be returned to the academy by October 10 2018 at the latest. This form does not replace the Local Authority application requirements.
Applicants can sit the ICT aptitude test and the Fair Banding Test as these are different criteria.
Note B. Fair Banding applications
All children under criteria 3 (i.e. 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d, 3e) will be required to undertake a fair banding test. The test will be used to place all applicants into five equal bands based on the results of the test, and places will be allocated equally to each band. Children who take the test will be given priority over children who do not. Applicants are invited to take the test at the Academy on Saturday 10 or Saturday 17 November 2018.
Applications to take the fair banding test must be made on the supplementary information form. This form is available on the academy website, from the academy reception, and also provided in the Prospectus. The form must be returned to the academy by October 31 2018 at the latest. This form does not replace the Local Authority application requirements.
Note C. Children of employees
Priority will be given under this criterion where:
- the member of staff has been employed at the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the academy is made
- the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage
Note D. Sibling link
The presence of an elder brother or sister at Sir Christopher Hatton Academy at the time of the pupil’s intended admission. For the purposes of this criterion, ‘sibling’ is taken to include a stepbrother or sister, half-brother or sister, or child who is adopted or fostered, in all cases provided they are living at the same address.
Note E. Trust Primary schools
The Directors have agreed to give a preference of 25 fair banding places to primary schools in Hatton Academies Trust.
Note F. Schools with traditional feeder links
These are local schools that have developed closer links with the academy than other primary schools through shared staff, events and services.
All Saints CE Primary School, Croyland Primary School, Earls Barton Primary School, Freemans Academy, Great Doddington Primary, Little Harrowden Community Primary School, Mears Ashby CE Endowed Primary, Park Junior School, Redwell Primary School; Oakway Academy, Our Lady’s Catholic Primary School, Wilby Church of England Primary School, Victoria Primary Academy, Ecton Village Primary Academy.
Application forms for the ICT Aptitude test and the Fair Banding Test
These are available on the academy website and in the prospectus. Alternatively a copy can be requested by contacting the academy reception. The completed ICT Aptitude Test form must be returned to the academy by Wednesday 10 October and the completed Fair Banding Test form by 31 October 2018 at the latest.