Experts agree that giving up smoking is the single most beneficial thing you can do to improve your health, and your wallet will feel the benefit too.
How we can help
Congratulations on taking the first step to a smoke free life. Stopping smoking will help you feel better, and will almost immediately improve your health.
Public Health Northamptonshire offers:
Contact the stop smoking team
- A dedicated stop smoking service
- Free clinics offering regular support and motivation from trained advisors and specialists
- Advice on ‘stop smoking’ nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
- A course of Nicotine Replacement Therapy free of charge
- Direct access to clinics – no need for a GP referral
- One-on-one support
- Joint appointments – team up with a partner or friend and stop smoking together
- Telephone appointment clinics
- A range of SmokeFree information booklets, leaflets and information
Alternatively, call the team today on 0300 126 5700.
Did you know that you are four times more likely to give up smoking with professional support, as opposed to going it alone?
Smoking in pregnancy
Stopping smoking during pregnancy is the most effective way of ensuring that your child has the best start in life. Although it can be tough to stop smoking, there is plenty of help available across Northamptonshire. Cigarettes contain over 4,000 chemicals, many of which can prevent your baby from growing properly, and increase their risk of developing significant health problems.
The benefits of stopping smoking in pregnancy include:
- You will reduce the risk of complications in pregnancy and birth
- You will reduce the risk of stillbirth
- Your baby is less likely to be born too early and have to face the additional breathing, feeding and health problems that often go with being premature
- You are more likely to have a healthier pregnancy and a healthier baby
- Your baby is less likely to be born underweight
- You will reduce the risk of cot death, also known as sudden infant death syndrome
Nicotine replacement therapy
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) contains only nicotine and none of the damaging chemicals found in cigarettes, so it is a much better option than continuing to smoke. It helps you by giving you the nicotine you would have had from a cigarette.
Although you can purchase NRT over the counter, we recommend getting it through a specialist service and combining it with behavioural support. First for Wellbeing can provide you with 6 weeks of NRT completely free of charge alongside one-to-one behavioural support.
If you would like help to stop smoking please contact us on 0300 126 5700 or email
Top tips to help you quit
Richard Holley, Stop Smoking Specialist, runs through some tips for quitting:
Clare and Sue's stories
Clare and Sue have both quit recently with the help of our team.
Watch their stories:
Public health plan
See key statistics for smoking in Northamptonshire:
See the map below for local providers who can help you to quit. They can provide 6 weeks of behavioural support and a course of nicotine replacement products at the cost of a prescription (free if you’re exempt). Click on the icon nearest you and contact your local provider for help quitting.