Date posted: 16/04/2018
Closing date: 31/12/2018
Purpose of the role
Libraries deliver a range of early years services and volunteers can support these in a variety of ways—Leading song and rhyme sessions for families and their children under 5, leading or assisting with creative and engaging activities that can be continued at home, or by helping parents and carers through the provision of advice, information and support and encouraging involvement at Children’s Centre Parent Forums. We have a variety of Under 5's opportunities available in our libraries including Activity Leader/Helper, Rhymetime Leader and Parent Champion (A full description for each of these roles is available from the library)
What tasks may be involved?
- Tasks are dependent on the type of role, but may include;
- Welcoming parents/carers and children to the activity
- Leading singing and rhyme sessions for children and parents/carers
- Demonstrating to parents/carers how rhymes and activities can be used at home
- Attending Children’s Centre Advisory Board meetings as appropriate
- Planning and reviewing sessions for families with children under 5
- Promoting the learning outcomes associated with the activities offered
- Signposting to appropriate support and advice, or referring enquiries to staff
- Setting up, cleaning, checking and clearing away play activities
What qualities or skills would be useful?
- Be welcoming, approachable, open-minded and have a sense of humour
- Have an understanding of the needs of young children and their families
- Be confident, with good communication and listening skills
- Be able to plan and review activity sessions
- Be willing to develop personal learning
- Have an understanding of the need for confidentiality
What would the benefits be for me?
- Gaining experience of working with children and families
- Using your skills to inspire and support others
- Developing your communication and organisational skills
- Improving your confidence
- Undertaking relevant training provided by library staff and our Children's Centre Service team
- Meeting new people and being part of the LibraryPlus team
- Receiving a reference from the Library Manager
Times when the opportunity is taking place.
|Monday|| || |
|Tuesday|| || |
|Wednesday|| || || |
|Thursday|| || |
|Friday|| || || |
|Saturday|| || || |
|Sunday|| || || |
DBS check required?
To find out more about the organisation, go to www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/dustonlibrary
Duston Library, Pendle Road, Duston, Northampton. NN5 6DT.Apply now