Date posted: 10/10/2017
Purpose of the role
Young people love libraries and our volunteers assist with a wide range of one-off and regular sessions for groups of children aged 5 years and upwards, which include activities such as crafts and games (art sessions), knitting, comic book clubs, Manga groups, homework clubs and coding clubs. All materials are provided for these activities and you can either lead a session or help to support staff and other volunteers. There are a number of Over 5's opportunities in our libraries including, Children’s Activity Leader/Helper, Homework Club Plus Leader/Helper, Chatterbooks Leader, Summer Reading Challenge Promoter and Summer Reading Challenge Leader/Helper (suitable for volunteers aged 14-17). (A full description for each of these roles is available from the library)
What tasks may be involved?
- Tasks are dependent on the type of role, but may include;
- Planning and organising new activities alongside library staff members
- Setting out appropriate materials before the event
- Booking the children into the event and introducing the activity
- Helping with the activity as required, at times without supervision
- Clearing away at the end of each session
What qualities or skills would be useful?
- Be flexible, reliable and able to help on a regular basis and at busy times
- Be confident when talking to a group of children
- Be willing to assist children with activities and have some knowledge of the activity themes
- Be aware of health and safety issues when working with children and craft materials
What would the benefits be for me?
- Supporting the development of children
- Using your skills to inspire young people
- Gaining experience of running activities for and with children
- Developing your organisational, planning and communication skills
- Improving confidence
- Meeting new people and being part of the LibraryPlus team
- Receiving a reference from the Library Manager
Times when the opportunity is taking place.
|Monday|| || |
|Tuesday|| || |
|Wednesday|| || |
|Thursday|| || |
|Friday|| || |
|Sunday|| || || |
DBS check required?
To find out more about the organisation, go to www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/brackleylibrary
Brackley Library, Manor Road, Brackley. NN13 6AJ.Apply now