Date posted: 14/05/2018
Closing date: 31/07/2018
Purpose of the role
Every year young volunteers help libraries make the Summer Reading Challenge a success across the county. The Summer Reading Challenge engages children in reading over the long school holidays; with over 9,000 children aged 4 to 12 taking part last year and volunteers are an essential part of our libraries during the summer. The role is aimed at 14-24 year olds, but could benefit anyone interested in literacy and working with children.
If you have previously volunteered for the Summer Reading Challenge, you may wish to consider becoming a team leader to help the library manager to support and train other Summer Reading Challenge volunteers. Please make it clear on you application if you wish to apply for the team leader role.
What tasks may be involved?
- Joining children up to the Summer Reading Challenge
- Talking to children about the books they have read
- Giving out awards
- Completing administration forms
- Asking parents and children to fill in evaluation/comments forms
- Helping children with Summer Reading Challenge related activities
- Helping children in the use of related websites
What qualities or skills would be useful?
- Be welcoming and friendly
- Be able to talk confidently to children and encourage them throughout the challenge
- Be able to undertake simple administration tasks
- Have basic computer and internet skills
What would the benefits be for me?
- Undertaking training provided by library staff early in July
- Receiving a Summer Reading Challenge Volunteer pack
- Receiving a certificate to evidence your involvement
- Gaining useful experience of being in a workplace, working with children and developing good communication skills, all of which can be included on a CV
- Volunteering for the Summer Reading Challenge can provide accreditation opportunities with Duke of Edinburgh, Arts Award, the International Baccalaureate and can form part of the National Citizen Service
- Being part of the ‘Reading Hack’ with access to online rewards, certificates and activities
- Meeting new people and being part of the LibraryPlus team
If you have volunteered in previous years please contact the library directly
Times when the opportunity is taking place.
|Saturday|| || |
|Sunday|| || || |
DBS check required?
To find out more about the organisation, go to www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/dustonlibrary
Duston Library, Pendle Road, Duston, Northampton. NN5 6DT.Apply now