With so many displays planned for this weekend and Bonfire Night, people across Northamptonshire are being reminded about laws and safety tips surrounding fireworks use.
Northamptonshire Police and Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service hope everyone enjoys their Bonfire Night celebrations but ask that safety steps are taken to avoid potential injuries.
In law, no one under the age of 18 can buy fireworks. The law also states that people must not set off or throw fireworks (including sparklers) in the street or other public places.
Ordinarily, fireworks must not be set off between 11pm and 7am. On Bonfire Night the cut off is midnight. On New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, the cut off is 1am.
Prevention Manager Laura Jones said: “Fireworks are a popular purchase at this time of year but they are also extremely dangerous items if used irresponsibly or carelessly.
“It is really important people are not only aware of the laws governing fireworks, which prevent children under 18 from buying them, but they also think carefully about how safely they are being used at home.
“We would recommend enjoying fireworks at an organised fireworks display, however, for those who do want to use them at home, we would urge you to please take note of our safety tips and always read fireworks instructions properly.”
Bonfire Night safety tips
Find out more about the laws governing firework use
- sparklers are not suitable for children under five
- light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
- don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
- always supervise children around fireworks
- never throw fireworks or put them in your pocket
- only buy fireworks with a CE marking
- keep a bucket of water handy
- stand clear of fireworks
- never return to a lit firework
- remember that fireworks cannot be purchased by under 18s
- light fireworks at arm’s length, using a safety firework lighter or fuse wick
- keep fireworks in a closed box
- position bonfires away from sheds, fences and trees
- before lighting a bonfire, check the structure is sound and it does not have children or animals hiding inside it
- keep pets indoors
- always follow firework instructions