Required proof of entitlement for a Blue Badge

​Whether you automatically qualify for a Blue Badge or not, all applicants have to provide documents relating to their application. Different circumstances are explained and detailed below.

To find out more about eligibility criteria for a Blue Badge, please see our apply or renew a Blue Badge webpage for information.

All applicants will be required to supply the following in support of their Blue Badge application:

  • A recent, colour, passport sized photograph in accordance with passport standards.
  • Proof of address dated within the last 12 months, which should either be a copy of a utility bill, bank statement or an official letter in your own name e.g. local council, council tax bill, letter from the benefits agency.
  • Proof of identity. This proof must detail your full name and date of birth e.g. a birth certificate, valid photo card driving license or a passport.
  • A scanned copy of any additional medical information in support of your application.

You will be asked to provide proof of your entitlement to your qualifying benefit. The types of proof that are suitable for each criteria are listed below. Your blue badge will only be issued until the expiry date of your award.

Ensure you provide copies as original documents cannot be returned.

Scored 8 or above points for the 'Moving around' descriptor for the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Your Personal Independence Payment award letter will show a care and mobility component and these are then broken down further into 'descriptors'. Under the Mobility Component there are two 'descriptors', the one that we are looking for is the 'moving around' descriptor and you must score 8 or more points to be eligible under this category.

Your upload must show the name and address of the person in receipt of the award, start and end date the award has been issued and the scoring page showing the 'Moving around' score. If you need to obtain a copy of your award letter from DWP, search 'Benefits helpline' on GOV.UK. Please only apply once you have obtained a copy.

Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance

To be eligible for a Blue Badge, you must receive the mobility component at the higher rate. If you receive Higher Rate Disability Living Allowance you need to provide proof of the latest award letter dated within the last 2 years, showing receipt of the higher rate for mobility. Please note you are not automatically eligible if you have attendance allowance. If you need to obtain a copy of your award letter from DWP, search 'Benefits helpline' on GOV.UK. Please only apply once you have obtained a copy.

Registered severely sight impaired (blind)

Applicants who are registered as severely sight impaired will need to provide a copy of their Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI), Ophthalmologists report or BD8 form. On a CVI you can be considered either partially sighted or severely sight impaired (blind), the award must be ticked as severely sight impaired (blind) for you to be automatically eligible.

Armed Forces compensation scheme

A copy of your award letter confirming receipt of tariffs 1 to 8 under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (compensation) scheme, which also certifies that you have a permanent and substantial disability which causes an inability to walk or considerable difficulty walking.

War Pensioner’s mobility supplement

A copy of your entitlement for the War Pensioner’s supplement.

​Child under 3 years

If you are the parent of a child who is less than 3 years old you may apply for a Blue Badge for your child under one of the following criteria:

  • Bulky medical equipment - You will need to upload evidence that proves they must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment, which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty. The types of equipment referred to above may include:
    • ventilators
    • suction machines
    • feed pumps
    • parenteral equipment
    • syringe drivers
    • oxygen administration equipment
    • continuous oxygen saturation monitoring equipment
    • casts and associated medical equipment for the correction of hip dysplasia
  • Access to transport - You will need to upload evidence that proves the child has a medical condition which means that they need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, either for treatment, or for transportation to a location where treatment can be performed. Examples of highly unstable medical conditions that mean children affected may need quick access to transport to either hospital or home are:
    • tracheostomies
    • severe epilepsy or fitting
    • highly unstable diabetes
    • terminal illnesses that prevent children from spending any more than brief moments outside and who need a quick route home

DS1500 or those with a terminal illness

We offer a fast track service for those diagnosed with a terminal illness, that seriously limits your mobility, or those in receipt of a DS1500. Please upload a copy of your DS1500 or a medical letter from your Macmillan nurses (or specialist nurse), GP or district nurses.