Work on a new roundabout in Corby will ease the current congestion at a busy junction of Westcott Way and Cottingham Road and improve the current traffic flow in the town in readiness for anticipated future growth and the transformation of George Street.
The project is being carried out by Northamptonshire County Council and funded through North Northants Development Company (NNDC) from the Growth Area Fund (GAF). The benefits of these works will be:
- Easing current congestion on these roads
- Improved safety for pedestrians and motorists
- Planning for increased connectivity and reduced traffic following the rejuvenation of George Street.
In order for the work to run smoothly it will be necessary for there to be some road closures and diversion plans and these will start on Monday, April 19 for nine weeks. While work is taking place there will be no access into Cottingham Road from Westcott Way.
A two way traffic light system will also be used in Westcott Way between 9:30am and 4:00pm, funnelling traffic through one lane to allow work to take place.
During the work drivers may wish to allow a little extra time for their journeys as they use the fully signed diversion routes which will be put in place. The emergency services will be informed and access will be maintained for them.
North Northamptonshire Growth Fund
- To date, a total of £35.1m has been secured to support the growth and regeneration of North Northamptonshire.
- The Growth Fund was announced in December 2007 by the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) to support the delivery of infrastructure in the three growth areas (Ashford, London-Stansted-Cambridge-Peterborough and Milton Keynes South Midlands). Nationally, the Growth Fund is managed for DCLG by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA).
- North Northants Development Company (NNDC) manages the North Northamptonshire Growth Fund and Northamptonshire County Council is the Accountable Body for the DCLG Fund.
- The NNDC Board, which makes recommendations to the County Council, involves the Council Leaders from the four district and borough councils and the County Council plus representatives from the East Midlands Development Agency (emda), the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) and the local private sector.
- Funding allocations for North Northamptonshire are based on a Programme of Development (PoD) – a delivery plan which has been prepared by North Northants Development Company (NNDC) in conjunction with the four district and borough councils and Northamptonshire County Council.