New cabinet posts focusing specifically on growth and regeneration in the county and strengthening links with the new government and strategy have been announced by the leader of Northamptonshire County Council Jim Harker.
Cllr Ben Smith has been appointed as cabinet member for regeneration and growth with a remit including climate change, flood defence, land use and infrastructure planning. And Cllr David Mackintosh has been appointed cabinet member for strategy, communications and external relations with specific responsibilities for liaising with central government, tracking emerging and new legislation, communications and governance issues.
At the authority’s meeting of full council today Cllr Harker will outline how the new additions to the cabinet will help the council face up to some of the most pressing issues facing the council in the next few years.
Cllr Harker said: “I believe these new additions to our cabinet will make us even more equipped to deal with some of the most pressing issues facing Northamptonshire today. I am excited about bringing the talents, experience and knowledge of both Cllr Smith and Mackintosh into our team.
“It is vitally important at this time to have a dedicated role looking into the growth and regeneration issues which we as a county face. Cllr Smith’s experience in these fields is second to none and I have every confidence he will bring all this experience to bare to ensure Northamptonshire progresses in the most appropriate way.
“I also believe that the formation of a new government nationally gives us a real opportunity to strengthen links with Westminster and get a better understanding of forthcoming legislation and how best to apply this for the county. Cllr Mackintosh has all the experience and knowledge to be a central part of this work.”
The full cabinet is now as follows:
- Cllr Jim Harker - Leader and cabinet member for community leadership
- Cllr Joan Kirkbride – Deputy leader and cabinet member for policy delivery, partnerships and performance
- Cllr Ben Smith – Cabinet member for regeneration and growth
- Cllr David Mackintosh – Cabinet member for strategy, communications and external relations
- Cllr Bill Parker – Cabinet member for finance
- Cllr Andrew Langley – Cabinet member for commercial and asset management
- Cllr Andre Gonzalez de Savage – Cabinet member for customers and communities
- Cllr Heather Smith – Cabinet member for environment and transport
- Cllr Andrew Grant – Cabinet member for children and young people
- Cllr Robin Brown – Cabinet member for health and adult social services