Northamptonshire County Council’s Emergency Planning team has launched the latest in its series of popular animated videos to raise awareness of reducing unnecessary deaths this winter.
The Don’t Be A Numpty campaign uses the videos to offer people advice on staying safe in a range of emergency situations from flooding to heatwaves.
As winter gets underway, the council’s Emergency Planning team is launching its next video to advise people on how to look after themselves during cold weather and extreme conditions.
The advice includes making sure drivers clear their windscreen of ice before setting off and wearing appropriate footwear in snow or icy weather.
Cllr André González de Savage, county council cabinet member for strategic infrastructure, economic growth and public protection, said: “This video is a fun way to get across some serious messages about winter safety, from wearing appropriate clothing for keeping warm, to safe driving tips.
“Excess winter deaths contribute to 1 in 20 of all deaths each year, so it’s vital that people take steps to look after themselves during the cold winter months.”
In 2012/13, more than 7,000 people were admitted to hospital in the UK as a result of falling over on snow or ice.
How you can stay safe
The Emergency Planning team has the following advice for staying safe this winter:
- Make sure your car windscreen is clear of snow and ice before setting off on your journey
- Pack an emergency kit in your car including a torch, warm clothes and a flask of hot drink in case you become stranded
- Never venture out on to icy ponds, no matter how solid the ice looks
- Check on elderly and vulnerable neighbours to make sure they are warm and safe
- Wear warm layers of clothing and shoes or boots with a good grip
- Use a fireguard and have your chimney swept regularly if you have an open fire
- Keep candles and a torch with spare batteries in easy reach in case of power cuts
- Get regular winter weather alerts to make sure you’re prepared by following @NorthantsEPTeam
For more advice and to view the Don’t Be A Numpty winter video, visit www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/emergencies. Information for elderly people about keeping warm this winter is also available from www.ageuk.org.uk.
The Don’t Be A Numpty campaign has been shortlisted for a national marketing award by magazine CorpComms in the ‘best use of video’ category.