Northamptonshire County Council’s libraries will be encouraging people to think about their health and wellbeing during Make a Change week (17th to 23rd January).
Make a Change Week will focus on everything the county has to offer to help people be healthier and happier and improve their wellbeing.
Libraries across the county will be kicking off the week with health and wellbeing fairs on 17th January.
The fairs are a chance to find out about local services and organisations offering health and wellbeing activities, such as help to stop smoking, local walks, mental health activities, local slimming clubs and gyms and much more.
People will also be able to learn about everything on offer in libraries to help them be happier and healthier, including plans for another 20 million steps event in 2015.
Throughout the week, each day will be themed in line with one of the New Economics Foundation Five Ways to Wellbeing – Connect, Be Active, Take Notice, Keep Learning and Give:
- Monday – Connect – this will include local friendship groups, dementia cafes, coffee mornings, activity and hobby groups.
- Tuesday – Be Active - this will include local sport groups, fitness apps, walking events and information about local gyms and sporting facilities.
- Wednesday – Take Notice – this will include details of walking events such as historical and town trails, local walking groups, and information about activities at country parks.
- Thursday – Keep Learning – this will include adult learning and library learning opportunities.
- Friday – Give – this will include details of the upcoming Get Involved Week which encourages people to volunteer as well as local friends of the library groups.
Cabinet member for public health and wellbeing Councillor Robin Brown said: “Make a Change Week is all part of our ongoing work to help everyone be healthier and happier by 2020.
“Libraries have an important role to play as part of this work, and the activities planned for the week are a great way of highlighting what is happening in people’s local areas to help them be active, be well and be happy.”
Visit the events calendar for details of everything taking place at each library.