Newly elected leader of Northamptonshire County Council Cllr Heather Smith has unveiled her new cabinet team including some new faces on the authority’s front bench.
Cllr Smith announced the cabinet of eight councillors following her election as leader of the council and has said she is confident the new team has all the right qualities to build on the council’s strengths.
Included in the cabinet are Cllr Ian Morris named as cabinet member for highways and transport, and Cllr Sylvia Hughes as cabinet member for Public Health and Wellbeing – both taking roles on the council’s cabinet for the first time.
In addition to this Cllr Andre Gonzales De Savage was elected as deputy leader and will continue with his portfolio of public protection.
Cllr Smith said: “I am delighted to be able to announce this new team of cabinet members and I have every confidence that it is the right team to take us forward as we embark on the huge challenges and transformation which stands before us.
“This is a team which combines new faces with experienced front benchers and I am looking forward to them all starting work in their areas – whether they are taking on new responsibilities or continuing in their work.”
The full cabinet will be as follows:
- Cllr Heather Smith – Leader of the council
- Cllr Andre Gonzales de Savage – Deputy leader and cabinet member for public protection
- Cllr Robin Brown – Cabinet member for finance
- Cllr Ian Morris – Cabinet member for transport, highways and environment
- Cllr Bill Parker – Cabinet member for adult social care
- Cllr Matt Golby – Cabinet member for children’s services
- Cllr Suresh Patel – Cabinet member for corporate parenting
- Cllr Sylvia Hughes – Cabinet member for public health and wellbeing
The new cabinet roles will become effective from Friday, May 13. Cllr Ian Morris's position will become effective from Wednesday, May 18th.