STAR, a new drug and alcohol support and treatment service, has been launched to support people in Northamptonshire.
The new service has been commissioned by the public health directorate at Northamptonshire County Council, with the aim of providing a more accessible prevention and treatment services for those who need it most, in confidence and free of charge.
In 2017/18 over 260,000 people nationwide sought help and support for drug and alcohol issues. Now people requiring advice and treatment in Northamptonshire can call STAR on a new free and confidential helpline.
STAR, which stands for Support, Treatment, Advice and Recovery, provides a single front door to accessing drug and alcohol support services. The service can be used by clients themselves, family members of those with drug and alcohol problems and professionals who work with clients with substance misuse issues.
What services are involved?
STAR is made up of a number of partners, offering a comprehensive offer through one single point of contact. The following services are part of the new STAR organisation:
- Aquarius - Provide alcohol training for professionals
- The Bridge – Peer support project for people who want support to control, reduce or cease their drug/alcohol use
- Family Support Link – Work to reduce the physical, psychological and emotional harm caused to families living with, or caring for someone who is addicted to drugs/alcohol
- Northamptonshire Domestic Abuse Services –Are dedicated to supporting and helping the victims of domestic abuse.
- NGAGE with Aquarius – An early intervention drug and alcohol service for young people aged 10-18.
- Substance to Solution – Recovery focused support and treatment for drugs and alcohol.
Collectively the above agencies provided help to over 4,000 clients last year.
Cecile Irving Smith, Cabinet member for Health and Wellbeing said:
"The launch of STAR will enable clients to access support treatment services quickly and provide more help for professionals and family members of those with substance misuse issues.
"Being able to access a range of treatment services through one single point of contact means that clients will be able to access the most appropriate support for them, quickly and effectively."
Anyone who would like to access help or assistance with any drug or alcohol problems can do so by calling STAR, free and confidentially, on 0808 169 8512, Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm.
Find out more
Find out more about STAR by checking out our Facebook page.